The Sony PlayStation 5 has finally dropped. If you want to make the most of its functions, we recommend using a VPN for your PS5. With a VPN for PS5, you can unblock geo-restricted content and services.
This will let you watch more Netflix, access regionally restricted YouTube videos, or play on foreign game servers. Scroll down to find the best VPNs for PS5!
What are the best PS5 VPNs?
We have listed the best VPNs for PS5 users below. If you need any more information about these services, keep scrolling to see our in-depth summaries of each VPN service.
[[post-object type="best-buy-table" /]]
To ensure you get the most out of your PS5 VPN, we have made sure that the services in the list above meet the following criteria:
- Fast servers
- Servers located around the world
- Strong encryption to stop hackers in their tracks
- Ability to unblock streaming services and games from other regions
Best VPN for PlayStation 5 – Summaries
Below, we have taken an in-depth look at each of the best PS5 VPNs. Although all of these services are great for PS5 users, they all have different features. We explain the differences in our summaries to ensure you get the best PS5 VPN for your specific needs. If you still need more information check out our VPN reviews.
How we chose the best PS5 VPNs
To find VPNs that are suitable for PS5 users, we compared the market in search of super-fast VPNs capable of streaming HD content and allowing you to play games.
We picked VPNs with a wide choice of servers, so that you can get the best speeds no matter where you happen to live. And, we chose VPNs that are known to provide watertight privacy levels, so that you can keep your online habits to yourself.
Below we have included a comprehensive list of the features we looked for when picking these VPNs:
- Super-fast Tier-1 servers that suitable for gaming.
- A large international network to let you unblock more gaming servers and online services.
- Strong encryption to protect your data and web browsing habits from snooping ISPs and government agencies.
- A no-logs VPN policy to protect your privacy.
- Router compatibility to make it easy to set up.
- Apps for all platforms (so you can share your PS5 connection with any laptop or desktop computer running the VPN).
- Plenty of simultaneous connections to make your VPN versatile.
- Works with international Netflix catalogs to let you make the most of your account. Find out what Netflix regions have your favorite shows using our StreamCatcher tool.
- Superb value-for-money.
What are the benefits of using a VPN for PS5?
Below we have included some reasons you might want to use a VPN with your PS5:
Play on foreign game servers
If you like to play multiplayer games, a VPN can be a massive benefit. With a VPN, you can pretend to be in a different country, which means you will always be able to find a full lobby of players. By connecting to different places in the world, you can play your favorite games at night, and still find plenty of players to compete against (or with).
A VPN can also allow you to find players that speak a foreign language. So if you are a native Spanish speaker living in the USA, or a French speaker living in England – you can easily connect to a server in your home country to play with players who speak your native tongue.
Even foreign language students can take advantage of a VPN to play against people who speak the language they are learning!
Prevent DDoS attacks to your PS5
A VPN will also conceal your IP address. This protects you against DDoS attacks by blocking hackers/cheaters from targeting your IP address with fake requests in an effort to tank your ping, or outright disconnect you from the game.
Unblock geo-restricted services on your PS5
The PS5 can easily be used as a media player because it allows you to install apps for services like YouTube, Netflix, iPlayer, Disney+, Spotify, and just about any other service you can think of!
With a VPN, you can access more content on those services by pretending to be in a different country. This will allow you to bypass geo-restrictions to unblock online services and watch any videos (or songs) not usually accessible where you live.
With a VPN, you can even sign up to services like Hulu, HBO Prime, or Sling TV to watch services that are only available in the USA. As a result, you can stream NHL, NBA, NFL, and channels like NBC, ABC, FOX, or ESPN! Or if you prefer to watch British TV, you can unblock iPlayer or ITV Hub!
Just remember that with a VPN you can pretend to be in any other country, which means that you can access content from all those locations if you want to.
Improve your internet speeds
Some ISPs engage in bandwidth throttling to prevent users from taking up too much bandwidth. ISPs are most likely to engage in this kind of purposeful bandwidth throttling at peak times of the day, when their network is suffering from high levels of use.
During the pandemic, more people than ever have been working from home, which has resulted in some areas putting more strain on networks. This has resulted in higher levels of bandwidth throttling than usual.
ISPs perform throttling on users who are engaging in activities that take up a larger amount of bandwidth. They do this by tracking what you are doing online. A VPN encrypts your data, which prevents your ISP from knowing what you are doing. As a result, it is unable to throttle your bandwidth.
If you have reason to believe that your ISP is throttling your bandwidth (resulting in slower internet speeds) then it is worth testing a VPN to see if it improves your speeds.
Will a PS5 VPN improve your Ping?
On some occasions, connecting to a VPN server that is geographically closer to the gaming server can improve your ping. This is rare for most people, and it is normal for a VPN to increase the latency between you and a game server most of the time.
However, if you are suffering ping issues and you believe you are connecting to a game server that is a large distance from where you live, it is always worth connecting to a VPN to see if this changes the game server you are using and results in lower ping. Check out our how to test ping guide for information on how to do this.
How to set up a VPN on PS5
You can set up a VPN on your PS5 using one of three different methods. We have included those methods below.
Setup VPN for PS5 on a WiFi router
The easiest way to use a VPN with your PS5 is to set up your VPN connection at the router level. numerous commercial routers nowadays have a VPN client built-in. This allows you to set up a VPN connection manually on the router if you want to.
The VPNs recommended in this article all have some router functionality, and they have guides for setting up the VPN on a diverse range of router models. So, be sure to check with the VPN before you subscribe to find out if they have a guide for your specific router.
If your router is not VPN compatible, you have a few options. You can either purchase a VPN that is compatible with your preferred VPN from FlashRouters, or you can flash your router with firmware that is VPN compatible (such as Tomato or DD-WRT).
Please remember that flashing a router yourself with new firmware is pretty advanced, and it can result in you bricking your router if you get it wrong (so only do it if you are tech savvy and confident).
For this reason, it is probably a good idea to get a VPN compatible router that is pre-setup to work with your preferred VPN provider (from [[post-object type="gotolink" provider="expressvpn" tag="ps5"]]FlashRouters[[/post-object]]).
Once your router is connected to the VPN, all the devices in your house that connect to that router will automatically be able to enjoy the benefit of the VPN. So, simply connect your PS5 to the router, and it will tunnel its data to the VPN server.
Check out our VPN router guide for a list of the best VPN compatible routers and further information about the benefits of using one.
Connect PS5 to Windows PC to share its VPN connection
If you don't fancy splashing out for a brand new router and you have a Windows computer, there is another way you can set up a VPN. Simply follow the steps below to create a virtual router on your PC. If you're a Mac user scroll down instructions of how to do this on Mac.
- Subscribe to one of the best VPNs for PS5 – don't forget, you can test each of our recommendations thanks to their extensive money-back guarantees!
- Download and install the VPN app onto your Windows machine.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server.
- Connect your PS5 to your Windows PC computer using an Ethernet crossover cable.
- On your computer, navigate to your Systems Control Panel and right click on the internet symbol to Open Network & Internet Settings.
- On the right, click on Change adapter options.
- Right-click on your VPN connection and select Properties.
- Now click on the Sharing tab and enable the option that says Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
- Click on the drop-down menu for Home Networking Connection and select the connection you want to use.
- Click OK to save the settings.
- On the PS5 dashboard, navigate to the Settings icon in the top right and press X. Now choose Network > Settings > Set up Internet Connection > Setup Wired Lan > Connect.
- If it asks, click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server.
- Finally, click on Test Connection to make sure that you are connecting to the internet via your Windows PC.
Connect PS5 to Mac to share its VPN connection
If you are a Mac user, follow the steps below to create a virtual router on your computer.
- As with above Windows, subscribe to your favorite VPN and install their VPN software on your Mac.
- Connect your PS5 to your Mac via an Ethernet crossover cable.
- On your Mac go to System Preferences > Sharing.
- Click on Internet Sharing.
- Click the drop-down menu for Share Your Connection From, and select the source of your internet connection (Ethernet, Wireless or AirPort).
- Now, click on the drop-down menu To Computer Using and choose Ethernet.
- Enable the checkbox next to Internet Sharing.
- the Internet Sharing icon will now turn green.
- Open the VPN app on your Mac and connect to the desired server.
- On your PS5 dashboard, navigate to the Settings icon in the top right and press X. Now choose Network > Settings > Set up Internet Connection > Setup Wired Lan > Connect.
- If asked, click on Do Not Use a Proxy Server.
- Finally, click on Test Connection to make sure that you are connecting to the internet via your Mac computer.
Can I unblock more games on PS5?
In the run-up to the launch of the PS5, it was rumored that it would not be region locked. Now that the PS5 is finally here, we are happy to report that the rumors were correct! The PS5 is not region locked, which means that users can play games released outside of their local area.
If you in a country that has banned a game, or if you want to play a game that has only been released elsewhere, you can use a VPN to pretend to be in that country. As a result, you should be able to purchase and play those games.
Can I unblock streaming services with PS5 VPN?
Yes. The PS5 doubles up as a media player. It has apps for all major streaming (and music) services. This means that you can take advantage of a VPN to watch more content on any of the following services:
- Amazon Prime Video
[[post-object type="useful-articles" ids="8251,8230,9062,8245" title="Useful Guide"/]]
Best PS5 VPNs - Conclusion
Now that you know how a PS5 VPN can improve your gaming and entertainment experience more broadly, here's a reminder of the best tools for the job:
[[post-object type="best-buy-table" /]]