Gal Gadot takes center stage as Wonder Woman in the newest addition to the DC Extended Universe: Wonder Woman 1984. The film is a direct sequel, following on from the 2017 original, and takes place 66 years in the future – just in time for Wonder Woman to meet the mysterious Barbara Ann Minerva, AKA Cheetah.
[[post-object type="divider" /]]
You can catch Wonder Woman 1984 in theaters, and via HBO Max – but the streaming service is, unfortunately, only available to US customers. Viewers elsewhere in the world can use a VPN to follow the action, and we'll cover each step of the process in this guide.
How to watch Wonder Woman 1984
A VPN allows you to access sites, content, and services that might've been previously inaccessible due to geo-restrictions. All you need to do is connect to a server where the content you're after isn't blocked – so, to watch Wonder Woman 1984, that'd be the USA! It won't matter where you actually are in the world, either. A VPN assigns you a new, temporary IP address in the location of the server you join, and can then bypass those pesky restrictions.
Don't worry if you're new to VPNs – it's incredibly easy to get one setup – simply follow along with the steps below:
- The first thing to do is decide on a VPN provider. The market is saturated with premium options, and we've listed some of the best services for streaming a little further down in the article.
- Download and install the VPN software that's compatible for the device you're using. Nowadays, most VPNs are compatible with just about every kind of device you can think of – laptop, PC, phones, and tablets – and the best providers offer numerous simultaneous connections.
- Once you've installed the app, log in and connect to a server in the US. This will allow you to access HBO Max as if you were an American.
- Open up the internet and navigate to HBO Max (and remember to create an account if you haven't already). You should now be able to access the site and stream Wonder Woman 1984!
Recommended VPNs for watching Wonder Woman 1984
There are hundreds of VPNs out there, all vying for your attention, and it can be difficult to determine which provider is the best pick. Ultimately, you want a service with servers in the US, speeds that can handle data-intensive tasks, and unblocking power. We list the best VPNs for the job below.
[[post-object type="reviewsc" /]]
Check out our top 5 picks for watching Wonder Woman 1984 – and take a look at our VPN streaming guide for a more in-depth analysis of each service. If you're new to VPNs, visit our what is a VPN page for more information.
About Wonder Woman 1984
As you might've guessed, Wonder Woman 1984 is set in the eponymous year of 1984 – and addition to the colorful nostalgia, evokes anti-consumerism parallels with George Orwell's foreboding novel of the same name.
Patty Jenkins returns to direct the sequel after her work on the original 2017 Wonder Woman, and Gal Gadot reprises her role, too.
Wonder Woman, known as Diana Prince, faces off against a pair of notorious new enemies. Maxwell Lord (Pedro Pascal) is a sly businessman who uses promises and greed to his advantage, and Cheetah (Kristen Wiig), or Barbara Ann Minerva, turns on her once-friend. Fans have also spotted a familiar face in trailers and teasers – namely Wonder Woman's love interest, Steve Trevor, who seemingly perished in the first movie.
What else is on HBO Max?
What's not on HBO Max?! The streaming service is stuffed with originals, cult classics, and old favorites like Friends and Doctor Who that turn a "duvet day" into an entire weekend. For a $14.99 per month subscription, users will be able to check out all of Warner Bros. 2021 theatrical releases without leaving home, on the same day the movies are available in cinemas.
Elsewhere on the site, you can check out:
- Dune (available October 1, 2021)
- Matrix 4 (available December 22, 2021)
- Studio Ghibli movies
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reunion special
- The Flight Attendant
- The Witches
- Justice League – the Snyder cut